If you are interested in historic buildings of all ages and all types, and want to support a charity which really does make a difference, join us.
We operate a joint membership scheme with the Friends of Friendless Churches, so for just one subscription you can join both societies which between them:
- campaign for and save historic buildings of all ages and all types.
- encourage the study of architectural history and conservation by publishing a volume of Transactions and three Newsletters a year.
- organise an annual series of Autumn Events and a Lecture
- hold two AGMs a year in buildings of special architectural interest (which are often not normally open to the public).
- own over 50 historic churches and chapels which they have saved from demolition and decay.
Membership makes a unique gift for a colleague, friend or relative, or, on a special occasion why not consider life membership.
What do members get?
Each year our members receive:
- a 150 page volume of Transactions comprising papers on a wide variety of subjects such as: Victorian cemeteries, the church towers of Somerset and brick nogging.
- three Newsletters a year, each Winter/Spring, Summer and Autumn. The Newsletter runs to 60 pages and is packed with news from the AMS, the Friends and the world of architectural conservation. It also provides a thorough review of new attractions, exhibitions, activities, lectures, and publications.
- 4 or 5 invitations to a great variety of historic sites, in the company of like minded enthusiasts – including professionals in the field and those who simply like old buildings.
- the opportunity to attend our Annual General Meeting, which takes place in June or July, and is held in a building of historic or architectural significance which is not normally open to the public. This includes a talk on the buildings, a tour, and refreshments. Past AGMs have been held in Middle Temple Hall, Birmingham Town Hall, and Birkbeck Hall at the Great Hospital, Norwich.
- an invitation to attend the AGM of our sister charity, the Friends of Friendless Churches, normally held in one of their evocative ancient and remote churches.
If you are joining on behalf of someone else, as a gift, simply complete the form with their name and address, and let us know in a note that you have done this. Send your completed membership form and the appropriate subscription to our address below. On receipt of your completed membership form and subscription we will enrol you (or your friend) as a member, and send you out the latest Newsletter(s) and Transactions.
Please note: Due to current changes to our working patterns, we will be sending out virtual welcome packs for those joining from 16/03/2020 onwards, which will be received by email. You should then receive subsequent publications as normal. We apologise for any inconvenience.
As a registered charity we benefit from Gift Aid on subscriptions. Gift Aid Declarations are also available from the office.
All who are in sympathy with the Society’s aims are invited to join.